Saturday, February 25, 2012

Oh baby!!

Wow!!  A lot has happened since my last post.  In my last post I was frustrated because Madison's heart wasn't working like they wanted it too.  Her base heart rate was typically around 129-135.  So what they wanted to see was a heart acceleration of 10, twice in a twenty minute period.  Well she just wasn't doing that.  Her heartbeat was staying steady, she just wasn't moving enough to accelerate that little heartbeat.  Which is concerning.  One thing that the placenta does (at least to my knowledge, if I'm wrong let me know)  is to supply Madison with blood, so that she can grow.  Well the pre-eclampsia kinda messes up that whole process.  With the HIGH blood pressure, my heart was making my placenta work too hard, making the veins smaller.  So with the medication we were able to get that under control.  But we knew from the beginning that if placenta decided to quit, that Madison would have to be delivered, despite what my blood pressure was.  Well my placenta decided to quit.  It wasn't pumping enough blood to Madison, so she was basically in survival mode.  Trying to maintain a heart rate that would actually keep her alive.

So on the 23rd, after 2 stress test that showed little movement, they moved me to Labor and Delivery AGAIN, for prolonged testing.  At that point I kind of knew it was over.  They put me back on an IV, and told me no food or drink.  They also put me on oxygen, to try and perk up Madison.  When they took me of food and drink, I know something was up, they don't normally do that unless a C-section is in the future.  So I cried a little and clung onto Tyler when I could.  They watched me through the night.  In the morning the Dr. came in and told me things went well through the night, and that they were taking me off oxygen to see how she would do over 4 hours.  And then I KNEW we were done.  I didn't think they would keep me on oxygen for 3 weeks to get me to 34 weeks.  I think they gave me 4 hours, so that they could be me onto the schedule for a C-section.

At 12:00 pm the nurse came in and said that we were gonna go ahead for a C-section.  So many emotions went through my mind.  She wasn't done cooking, I was ready to let her out of my belly.  C-sections are scary.  Where's my mommy?  Can I be a mommy?  At this point it didn't matter anymore.  It was gonna happen.

The nurse came in and explain pretty much step by step what they would be doing.  And how it would most likely feel.  And then the Dr. from the NICU came in and explained some of the complications that could occur with a preemie birth at this age. He explained that she had a very good chance of thriving.

My sister came, and hung around with Tyler and I until it was time for me to go back to the O.R.  She hung out clear up until it was time for me to go back.  Tyler donned some pretty awesome scrubs that made him look like the Micheline Man.  I got an awesome blue cap, and we were ready.

The nurse gave me the option of walking, a wheel chair, or riding the bed back to the O.R.  I chose to walk.  It had been so long (2 weeks) since I'd been allowed to walk any where but to the bathroom.  My legs were wobbly, a mix of nerves and not using them a lot for 2 weeks.  I remember walking down the hall way holding Tyler's hand, thinking "I can't believe this is about to happen."  The last 2 weeks the possibility of delivery has been lingering in my mind.  Every time they took a BP, every time a doctor came in, every time a nurse asked if I was having any symptoms (which I never did).  And now it was finally time to meet this little girl.

I have never had major surgery before.  Unless you count your wisdom teeth being pulled, which I never did. It was weird walking into the O.R.  It was bright, and there was a table in the middle of the room just for me. Oh man, I'm about to have an C-section.  I sat down on the bed with Tyler in front of me and waited for the anesthesiologist to administer the epidural.  I had to sit at the edge of the bed and curl forward.  I had Tyler directly in front of me, with my hands in his.  So that is what I chose to focus on.  Obviously I'm not sure what was going on behind me.  I could feel something being rubbed on, the doctor pressing down on the spine, and finally it was time for the shot.  I felt in on the right side first.  To begin with, it feels like you are putting just one leg into a warm pool, and then if feels just like your leg fell asleep.  That weird tingly, numb sleep, not the poking painful kind.  And then my left leg went numb.  Now it was time to lie down...mmm ok.  I was numb from my waist down, and you want me to put my legs up? Hahaha yeah, right.  Of course I had a nurse with me the whole time, and Tyler.  So I lay down on my left side from the butt up, and rolled to my back.  Then the Nurse put my legs onto the table for me.

They put a sheet up so I couldn't see.  however they did offer me a mirror if I wanted to see.  I politely declined, I didn't need to see my stomach cut open, belch.  They gave Tyler a stool and parked him above my head to the left.  He had his hand on my head through out.  I had my arms stretched out with IVs running.  And I had what I call the shakes.  It was cold in the O.R.  So I was shivering, but occasionally I would start shaking.  All the medication had something to do with it I'm sure, but I was also scared.

The Doctor asked me if I could feel anything sharp, and I said no.  So they were ready to start.  It is really a strange sensation.  I was laying there looking into my husbands dark brown eyes, totally lucid, while they are cutting me open.  I could feel pressure and tugging, which is kinda icky to think about.  Speaking of icky, Tyler happened to look up (he could see over the sheet without straining) as they were hold up my tummy.  I didn't know this of course.  But all the sudden he started to sway back and forth.  I remember asking him where he was going, and he turned white.  So I told the nurse he was about to pass out.  So they all rushed to his side, took his mask off, and tried to get him to calm down.  And in my head I was thinking "I'm already a mom."  here I was getting major surgery and I'm worrying about whether or not my husband is going to pass out.  Then I found in humorous that I was the one giving birth, and he's hogging all the attention.  Eventually he was well enough to be taken outside to get some fresh air, and a juice.

He wasn't in the room when Madison was born, but I don't think he would have been able to handle a blood covered Madison.  I was just laying there trying to ignore the strange sensations that were going on.  Because really it's enough to make you want to throw up.  Suddenly, the Doc says it was time to pull her out and that I would feel some pressure.  Wow a little pressure?  That was an understatement.  I couldn't feel any pain, but there was more then a little pressure.  But as quickly as it was there, it was gone.  And I strained my ears, and then I heard it.  Her high pitched, pissed off cry!!  Oh I was so happy!  I laughed and sighed.  I didn't know if she was okay, or what she looked like.  But she cried!  That was a pretty good start!

We were told she had to be delivered at just before noon on Feb. 24, 2012.  And at 1:45 pm on Feb 24, 2012 Madison Ann Johnson was born!  It went that quickly.  The nurse was good enough to grab our camera and snap a picture before they  whisked her away to the NICU.  And now it was time to sew Mommy back up.

The sewing me back up is what took the longest.  I have dissolving stitches internally, and staples externally.  When we were first checked into the hospital we were told that there are 2 ways to do the surgery.  One, is a traditional C-section.  For this one, the make a crescent shaped incision horizontally just above the bikini line and go in.  Once in they make ANOTHER horizontal cut in the uterus.  The second type, is more commonly used for emergency c-sections.  They start with a horizontal cut but once inside, the make a vertical incision.  You want them to do the first set of incisions if you can help it.  For one, it makes a vaginal delivery later on, possible.  The also aren't cutting against the grain of muscle separating them.  So it's easier to recover from.  The reason I bring all this up?  Well the doctor said originally that they may have to do a vertical cut through the uterus.  And the reason for that is, the further along you are the thicker the uterine wall is.  If it is too thin, they have to go vertically, simply to be able to stitch it back together.  I was hoping that they would be able to do a traditional C-section, and cut horizontally both internally and externally.  And the 2 weeks was enough for the uterus to thicken, and a traditional C-section was performed.  Whew!

OH I forgot to mention, that Tyler was eventually brought back into the O.R. about 5 minutes after Madison was born.  So he was there to hold my hand and stroke my head while they stitched me up.

The anesthesiologist gave me some pain medication while the surgery was still going.  So in addition to being numb from the boobs down, I was starting to feel loopy.  And itchy!  The medication made my face itch.  Which they told me was normal.  I was instructed to not scratch with my nails, to just rub a little, but try to leave it alone.  Oh yeah right.  I tried my hardest but every couple of minutes, my shaky left hand made it's way up to my nose and lips.  And Tyler would gently scold me, and back down my hand went.

Finally the doctor announced he was done.  He looked over the sheet, and told me I did very well.  Whew.  I did good, and my baby cried , so now take me back to recovery so that I can go see her!

So I could keep going on with this story, but I think I'm gonna break it up a little.  Other wise this post would be super long.  It's a little long now.

I will say, that Madison it doing well.  I went down 3 times today to see her.  And while she is super small, she's a fighter!  She screams when someone hurts her (drawing blood), and it's a pissed of scream.  But oh so cute!  It's amazing to love someone as much as I love her.  I now know about the mama bear instinct.  And I would do anything for my little Madison.  She truly is a huge blessing in my life.  And even though she's only 2 days old, I don't know what I would do without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment