Saturday, July 21, 2012

Long Road. Part 2.

So on February 9, 2011, my mother-in-law took me to the Taylorsville insta-care for my headache.  We went in around 9 in the morning.  I thought the wait would be short considering they had only been open for about an hour.  Well I guess they were waiting for another doctor to start his shift, so they were running a lot slower then normal.  They wait ended up being about an hour.  When I finally got back to see the doctor he asked me a bunch of standard questions.  When did the pain start? How far along are you?  Where does it hurt? Ect.  They also took my blood pressure, and noticed that it was a little high.  So they ordered a urinalysis, to check the amount of protein in my urine.  They also drew some blood.  After wait about 45 minutes for the test results to come back, I finally had some news.  They didn't know why I had such a bad headache.  So I got a prescription for the pain, and one for the nausea I was having BECAUSE of the pain.  I was prescribed codeine for the pain.  I was relieved to be able to take something stronger then just Tylenol.

So Cheryl and I went on our way, and filled the prescriptions, and I went home with high hopes of some pain relief and sleep.  But that was not to happen.  I took the codeine and all it really did was knock me out for about 2 hours, it didn't take away the pain.  So when I woke up from my drug induced sleep I was stuck for another 2 hours before I could take more.  That day I called Tyler at work crying, and asked him if he would please come home.  I didn't like being home alone, and in so much pain.  I needed someone to comfort me.  I don't remember much else about that day, just that I was in pain and wanted it to stop.  I spent that night in and out of sleep, I also spent a good amount of time crying, and ringing my hangs again.

I called out at work again the next day, and called my doctor to tell her about this headache that was going on for 2 days now.  After some convincing Tyler got me to go see a physical therapist.  The thought behind that was that I may have tweaked my neck and just needed an adjustment.  After that appointment I was actually feeling much better.  My headache had started to subsided and life was looking up for me.  Now I know WHY the headache started to go away.  I was relaxed while I was at the physical therapist office, thus bringing my blood pressure down, which alleviated the pain.

When Tyler got home from work we went out to dinner (Subway)  and then we were going to go to Wal-Mart to get a stroller car seat combo that I had seen on sale earlier that week.  After dinner my headache was back so we started our trek home.  While we were in the car my doctor called me back.  I told her about my head and that I was still in pain.  So she prescribed some loratab so that I could get some relief.  Then told me to come in to her office first thing in the morning to get my blood pressure checked.  I said I could stop in on my way to work.  I didn't think it would end up being a big deal.  Just stop in for 15 minutes, and then off to work I would go.  (Oh how wrong I was).  I remember that night before I went to bed, I was sitting on the couch, I looked up at Tyler and said,"have you ever had a feeling that something isn't ok?  Well I feel like this headache is something more." (oh how right I was).

That night I actually got quite a big of sleep, the loratab worked wonders and Tyler bought some rice packs at Walgreens so the heat and the pills made for a great sleep.  When I woke up (2/10), I was still in pain, but it really wasn't as bad as it had been.  So I decided it was time to go back to work.   I didn't want to use up all of my sick time on a silly headache.  I had plans to use it when Madison finally made her appearance.  I remember I put on my black pants, and my purple work shirt.  I took a rice pack with me, and I was out the door at 8:00.  I really wasn't worried while I was driving to the doctors.  I had no prior knowledge of pre-eclamcsia and didn't know there was reason to worry.

When I got to the office, I was taken back into a room as soon as I got there.  The nurse took my blood pressure, and the called my doctor.  It was really high.  I can't remember how high it was anymore.  The nurse came back and told me that Dr. Onieda told me to go over to Alta View Hospital (where I planned to have Madison) and go to labor and delivery.  I was officially worried then.  I didn't know what was going on.  So I said ok.  And as I walked back to my car I called Tyler crying.  I told him what happened, and then told him I was going to go get him and then we would go to the hospital together.  He asked if I wanted to meet him there, and I said no.  I didn't want to go alone.  I was too freaked out to drive from Bluffdale, where Tyler works, up to Alta View Hospital.  So Tyler drove me, while I sat and worried.  Tyler tried to make me feel better, but I was really scared.  I had no idea what was about to happen.

When we finally arrived the nurses where waiting for me.  They took me back into a room, and gave me a gown.  Hooked me up to fetal monitors and a blood pressure machine then we waited.  When someone came back, they told us they want us to stay for at least 24 hours, to do a urine collection.  There was a high count of protein in my urine so they wanted to get a better look at it.  So that was okay.  We could handle 24 hours.  So I sent Tyler home to gather up an overnight bag.  He also went back to his work to get his car.  He didn't want to leave it in the parking lot over night.  While he was gone, I was told that the doctors wanted to do an ultra sound on the baby that day, to see how she was doing.  Tyler was only gone for about and hour and a half.  I asked if they could wait for Tyler to get back so that he could go with me.  But as I was asking, he walked back into the room.  So off we went to get an ultra sound.  I now know that it was fetal monitoring.  After having one a day while I was in IMC, looking back I can recognize it for what it was.  When they were done, the tech said it looked like she was doing pretty good, and sent us on our way.

Once back in the room, my Doctor came to check on me.  She told us that I had abnormally high blood pressure, and that she needed to consult with another doctor to form a plan for what to do.  Nothing she really said, made me think anything was seriously wrong.  I still thought we'd be out by the next afternoon.  My head wasn't hurting as bad, and things seemed to be getting better.  I'm not sure how long it was but eventually another doctor came in, and told us we needed to transfer to another hospital.  At this point thing kind of started to blur together.  And happen so quickly.

My dad and step-mom where there, although I can't really remember when they showed up.  I know I called my sister and my mom, although I can't really remember when.  The doctor started talking about pre-eclamsica and high blood pressure.  And that they baby could die, that I could die, or have seizures a stroke.  And that the baby would probably be delivered that night.  So we had to go to Intermountain Medical Center.  They had/have a better facility for premature babies then Alta View does.  Everything was kind of a blur.  A nurse came in and started an IV for the Magnesium drip, and gave me my first dose of the beta-methasone shot, to help speed up Madisons lung development.  Then they told us I had to be transferred via ambulance and someone wanted to put in a catheter.  Finally Tyler told everyone to stop.  He wanted to talk to MY doctor and figure out what was going on.  Everything was happening so quickly.  One minute we were in for 24 hour evaluation, and the next he's being told his wife and daughter might die.  We weren't really sure what to think.  So my doctor called and told him that I really did need to go to IMC.  And after going around a few more times, we said we were ready to go.  So Tyler packed up our stuff, and a nurse put in a catheter.  Then we waited for the ambulance.  I tried to be strong, but I was in such a daze, I wasn't really sure what was going on.  The ambulance drivers showed up, they were good guys.  They made me feel at ease and made me a Tyler laugh a little.  So Tyler gave me a kiss good bye and they wheeled me out to the ambulance.

The next time I saw him, I was surrounded by doctors getting vitals and asking questions.  I didn't even know what time it was.  It was dark, I know that much.  But it was the middle of February so it could have been early afternoon.

I can't write anymore right now.  All of the memories and emotions are a little intense right now.  So in a few days I'll pick it up again.  But I need to organize my thoughts.  And maybe not write so late at night.  Emotions always seem to be closer to the surface at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment